Strategies for Environmental Responsibility
Appreciate, cultivate, sustain. These are the principals that guide our strategies of sustainability. Here at Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, we are dedicated to becoming a model for environmental responsibility and have taken great lengths to reduce our carbon footprint as well as educate our guests on the subject. Find inspiration in our environmental achievements and goals highlighted below.
Thinking of holding your company's next meeting at the Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa? Be sure to check out our Green Meetings section.
Reducing Energy and Material Consumption
One central tenant of environmental resposibility is the reduction of energy and material consumption. While we are continually striving to improve our reduction efforts, we run many reuse and recycling programs such as:
- an integrated recycling program for managing paper, cardboard,
aluminum, plastic, vegetable oil, and organic wastes;
- a towel and linen reuse program;
- a new composting system in the resort's herb and vegetable garden;
- and energy saving lighting and GreenFiber insulation to retain heat.
Wind Energy and RECs
After more than a year of research and planning, in 2009, Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa commissioned Northern Power Systems to build a wind turbine behind the resort. For more information about our wind turbine, please view the press release.
Today we source 100% of our electricity usage through renewable wind energy generated by our on-site 121-foot wind turbine by Northern Power Systems and supplemented by NewMix Wind Green-e Energy Certified Renewable Energy Certificates from Constellation NewEnergy, Inc..
This makes Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa the sole hotel or resort and one of only a few companies in New Hampshire to have gained recognition as an EPA 100% Green Power Partner, defined as those which buy renewable power to meet all their electricity needs.
This helps us offset our carbon footprint by around 2,500,000 pounds of C02 equivalents per year, equal to any of the following:
- CO2 emissions from the energy use of 100 homes for one year
- Annual greenhouse gas emissions from 230 passenger vehicles
- Carbon sequestered annually by 250 acres of pine or fir forests
Awards and Recognition
EPA Green Power Partner
As mentioned above, Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa has earned recognition as a 100% Green Power Purchaser as part of the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Green Power Partnership program. Mountain View Grand is the sole hotel or resort and one of only a few companies in New Hampshire to have secured a place on this list of those that buy green power to meet all their electricity use.
Learn more about the EPA Green Power Partnership
Green Business Bureau Platinum Award
In July 2011, and again in 2012, we received platinum certification status (the highest awarded) through the Green Business Bureau's green certification program. The GBB provides national, third-party green business certifications for businesses that strive to reach sustainability, save money and improve the environment.
Learn More about the Green Business Bureau
As the only hotel or resort in New Hampshire to be recognized as an EPA Green Power Partner, you will find eco-friendly practices available throughout every phase of your event. At Mountain View Grand, our comprehensive resort-wide Sustainability Initiatives make "Green" Meetings & Events the standard. A few examples of what we offer specifically for meetings & events are listed below:
- Online brochures, paperless contracting and billing available
- Condiments served in bulk versus individual packets
- Non-disposable cutlery and drink containers, and dishware
- White Boards available upon request in place of flip charts
- Water offered by the pitcher instead of plastic bottles
- Locally purchased produce and other seasonal sustainable menu offerings
- Materials made from recycled and recyclable content
Visit our Meetings Page for further details about our meeting facilities, or to book your next event, please call our Sales Department today at 855.837.2100.